01 December 2011

Those Blasted Condensed Books

My grandmother was famous for collecting things: good, bad, collectible, pretty, weird and awful alike.  Among the things she collected were the two my mother disliked getting sent in the mail the most:  egg cartons for dad's eventual soundproof room in the basement, and Reader's Digest Condensed Books.


Did you know that about 500 Reader's Digest items, whether in book, atlas or mini-digest paperback form, are published every second? Yeah, they're that ubiquitous, and annoying, and so damn addictive.  They are everywhere but you can't stop reading them...particularly the mini-digests.  My favorite stories are always the "Drama in Real Life" ones--though of recent they have changed the name I believe.  You just can't put it down; it's like a blog in which you just can't stop hitting the "Older Posts" link.  They pile up everywhere, in bookstores, in libraries, on Amazon and eBay...you get the point.  However, one place my mom did NOT want them piling up was in her bookshelves.

I just came across a blog post that discovers new ways to recycle, reuse and repurpose these old Reader's Digest books.  Who knows....one day, these snippets of history might be all we have left of physical books with all the eReaders coming out; but now maybe we can see them in a new light.  Visit Sharon's blog post to check out what ideas she has for culling those old pieces of history and putting them to better use.


1 comment:

  1. I would love to have a truck load of these books. They work so well for altering because the bindings and covers are so sturdy. They also make great "secret compartment" books because the pages carve so easily. I checked out Sharon's list, wow, she has put a ton of thought into what can be done with these books!! It's funny, when I was a kid my Grandfather always read these while he smoked a pipe, I would never pick one up to read as I hated the smell of the pipe tobacco that had clung to the pages!

    ReplyDelete