19 May 2011

Mother's Day & Our First Anniversary

I remember as a college student telling my mom that scrapbooking just wasn't for me because I could get started on a project but I could never finish.  Sometimes I feel that way about blogging, too, but I know that in a way it's how I keep in touch with a lot of my family members.  So, after six months, welcome back the Kayla's Cuties blog.  I'll provide a quick overview of some of the earlier events and then more detailed of the more recent.

Last year after the passing of my dad's parents, we also lost my great-grandmother, Frances Skinner.  We all affectionately called her "Cammie", after my mom's nickname for her when she was a child.  It was not a shock in terms of her age, as she would have turned 96 this April, but in terms of her veracity for life it nearly took my family out from underneath their feet.  She was a strong, loving matriarch in our family and quite frankly it sucked to lose her, but we all know that she's now in a better place and can watch over us in safety.

Cammie at my wedding

In January, Dave & I spent the evening at the Boutwell's drinking, eating and watching fireworks for the final countdown to 2011.  I swear, as the years go by, it's not nearly as exciting, especially after watching the Lake Anna firework shows every year :)

In February, Dave & I got to spend a brief few hours together on the 13th of February for the love holiday of the year prior to my trip to San Antonio, TX on the 14th.  I spent six weeks digging into perinatal nursing and honing my skills as a labor and delivery nurse and spending good times with the new friends I made there, including during St. Patty's Day, in downtown San Antonio.  Katie and I even spent some time perusing the Alamo and taking tons of pictures.  I returned to Florida with two sunburns and a lot more knowledge about helping birth babies.  I spent another several weeks orienting back to my unit until I went on leave.

My PNC class at Wilford Hall

Out for St. Patty's Day with Katie and Jessica!

In the second week of May, I finally took some leave for myself and family.  Dave and I celebrated our first anniversary on May 8 as well as Mother's Day.  Carolyn, Chris and Lori flew into town and we spent the week having fun around town and on the beach.  We even made it out jet skiing!  Of course, the new joke kins itself to the movie "Up", where the dog is easily distracted and says "SQUIRREL!" and turns away from whatever it's doing to pin attention on the moving object.  While we were out jet skiing, Carolyn Dave & I were on the same jet ski.  Once we got past Crab Island, Dave all of a sudden said "Hey, look! Dolphins!" to which I responded "Dolphins?!" and let go of the gas on the jet ski and turned towards them to take a closer look.  Of course being distracted I turned far too fast for the 3-passenger ski to tolerate and I dumped all 3 of us in the bay.  Good thing we were on a sand bar and the ski didn't turn all the way over!  Now, however, the joke is that I'm easily distracted by dolphins and every time I jump at something it's "DOLPHIN!"

At minigolf in Destin

The place was pirate-themed, so we crossed "swords" in front of the waterfall.  (Dave won.)

Always at the beach!
Dave & I spent our anniversary at a hotel on the beach and got to watch the sun set over the ocean.  We also went to dinner at Marina CafĂ© in Destin--heavenly food, even more heavenly dessert and wine!

Dave had a gig that week and played in Panama City with a 6-piece group.

Me = tired and sunburned!

Destin Gulfarium

The anemone in this tank was more interesting than the fish.

JMU FISH! ...MUST! ...GET! ...ONE!!!

The sealions were very entertaining!

This thing practically glowed neon.

Oh you know it.  I made everyone stop for the dolphin show.

These ones still had their barbs, so no sticking our hands in THIS tank.

Tortoise!

These two dolphins were in the rehab tank.  Dunno what for though :(

Typical siblings messing around--look out Dave!

The boys and Lori

Right before we went jet skiing

Coming back from the bay

Dave's first metal detecting lesson from Lori's dad

Chris & Lori bought us our first grill!

Our anniversary cake layer.  It made its way from VA with dad when he came down to spend some time at the Alabama house with Uncle Brady, Aunt Stevie, Uncle Steve, Abby & I.  It was wrapped in so many layers of protection that it took 15 minutes to undo.

Chocolate and raspberry....

"It was better the second time around!"

Once I returned to work I was back on nights.  I much enjoy the quiet atmosphere and less-chaotic care of my patients, though I do miss being able to go to the beach on my days off.  Now I just sleep!

2 comments:

  1. yay- thanks for posting! it is so fun to see pictures :) looks like you all had a great time last week. hahaha that is so funny about the dolphins. i'm glad you're all ok! and that is so nice chris and lori gave you a grill- sweet! miss you guys....

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and ps thank for the comment on my blog. i am so glad im not the only one!

    ReplyDelete