30 June 2011

Summer Equinox

At some point during my life I remember hearing that the spring and autumn equinoxes are the only days of the year during which you can sit eggs on end on a flat surface, unless you live exactly on the equator (where you can do it year round).

Dave and I found out for ourselves that it's actually true.  We spent about 15 minutes of his morning (my evening) entertaining ourselves by balancing eggs on our counter before scrambling them up for a meal.



Amazing how the little things are so intriguing.

2 comments:

  1. A note to the skeptical: you're absolutely correct, you can balance an egg on its end on any of the year....you just have to be patient enough. Dave and I actually did this on the SUMMER SOLSTICE, not the spring equinox. A few kids did a high school experiment in which they balanced eggs on their smaller ends....and they remained standing on the lab tables for over a month. Notice the sarcastic title of the post. ;)

    ReplyDelete