04 October 2011

Machine Embroidery

It all started when Shameka asked me to make a Slytherin (Harry Potter) cape.

Now, I'm making her a vampire cape for Halloween, and I was attempting to find a good way to put a blind hem on the edges of the cape.  I dug out my bag of sewing stuff and found the manual for the Janome my grandma gave me before I left for Florida, and I noticed that there were a LOT of feet that went to this machine, all for different things.  I started reading more about them, and then I got extra-curious when I discovered the darning foot.  (Not what I had any idea what darning was in the first place either, I had to continue reading!)  I've always been fascinated by hand embroidery and my grandma was very proud to show me her embroidery machine that you put hoops in and it sewed for you, but I was curious how people managed to get large, intricate designs that weren't already patterned.  They were ORIGINAL machine-embroidered pieces.

Imagine what you find when you actually read the manual for your electronic devices.  I found out how to attach the darning foot to the sewing machine and I started playing around with the settings and....VOÍLA!  Kayla's in DEEP trouble now....she just discovered how to machine-embroider.


Granted, this was just a bunch of little test loops and scribbles, but now I'm starting to think of its applications in terms of jewelry, using washable markers, etc.


...Yup.  I found a new craft to add to my arsenal.  Dave was just chuckling at me in the background, but he's decided to stay away from the kitchen table for a while since I tried to recruit him as a temporary dress bust!

1 comment:

  1. that's going to be awesome to know how to do! love it :)

    ReplyDelete